If you are in search of peace, spirituality and tranquility then Mcleodganj is a perfect destination for you. Being a residence of one of the most popular spiritual leader of the world, Dalai Lama, this place has emerged as a Tibetan Buddhism center and a resting place for Hindu and Buddhist peace seekers. People come here to get a firsthand experience with the nature in its purest form.
Mcleodganj has the dual characteristics of being one of the most sought after tourist destination along with being renowned seat of the Holy leader Dalai Lama. Situated 31 Km from the Kangra town in Himachal Pradesh, it is visited by tourists in search of fun filled adventure and seekers in search of peace and knowledge. This place will energize you with beautiful orchids, mesmerize you with dim lit restaurants and amaze you with its curio shops of Tibetan and Kashmiri artifacts. On the similar note, here is the list of must visit places upon your visit to this hilly center:
- Tsung-lha-khang Temple: This temple with its two storied architecture is an integral part of Mcleodganj’s landscape. It contains a palace, beautiful cottages and unusual column of Deodar trees which are still growing. It has a 9 feet gilded Buddha image and a podium where Dalai Lama delivers his lectures. If you are a fan of Tibetan artistic and spiritual traditions then Kalachakra temple and Namgyal monastery within this temple’s premises would readily amaze you.
- Namgyalma Stupa: This hybrid Indo-Tibetan structure was built to honor Tibetan warriors who sacrificed their lives fighting for their motherland. It has rows of colorful wheels where loud prayers are sung which mystifies the entire atmosphere along with enchanting you.
- Church of St John: Situated towards lower Dharamshala, it has exquisite stained glass windows depicting John the Baptist with Jesus Christ. This church is a proud monument which was built in 1852, covered with huge Deodar trees being a lone survivor amongst many monuments of that period.
- Tibetan Institute of performing arts: It is the major centre of this town’s social life. Set up by Dalai Lama, it plays a host of 10 day Shoon festival held in March-April which is worth attending. Filled with color and celebration, this festival would readily leave you mesmerised, amazed and awed.
- Shopper’s delight: If you are on a shopping spree then Mcleodganj is unarguably a paradise for you. With wide range and variety of Tibetan carpets, ponchos, jackets, jewellery, bottled products etc its main bazaar is one of the most populous places where you’ll find tourist and locals enjoying shopping and savouring the traditional delights.
Mcleodganj is easily accessible and has well laid roads. So, it is recommended to take a road trip to Mcleodganj as it is surrounded with exotic highlands which will leave you refreshed. In addition, there are packaged tours organized by Himachal Pradesh tourism which covers all the famous tourist attractions of Himachal Pradesh. You can book one of such tours and experience the exquisiteness of this beautiful and peaceful state of India.